Monday, March 25, 2013

MYST #3 Casablanca


casablanca-poster1.jpg
 Over the past weekend, I got the chance to watch one of the greatest films ever, Casablanca. Widely considered to be one of the greatest films ever, certainly lived up to the hype for me. Led by an all star cast including Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, and Paul Henreid, this film all around has good performances from the actors and actresses. This film won three Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director in Michael Curtiz. The screenplay for this film is also considered to be the best ever by many critics. It’s one of the most memorable films in history. 

The film starts out with news reels explaining that because of the Germans occupation of France, many refugees have flooded into Casablanca looking for a way to get to Portugal to get to the US. Many refugees are stuck in Casablanca with little hope of getting out. We first meet Rick, played by Bogart, when a thief who stole two letters of transits from two German couriers, brags about how he has them. Rick ends up obtaining possession of these letters after the thief is arrested at the saloon. Shortly after renown resistance leader Victor Laszlo and wife Ilsa Lund show up at the saloon. Rick knows Ilsa from his time in Paris prior to the occupation. The rest of the film revolves around the letters and Rick’s relationship with Ilsa. The plot is very interesting and I did not see the ending coming. 

The part that stood out to me most was the screenplay. I though that the screenplay was great. The story was incredible creative and the character were so well developed. I was impressed by the fact that this film was released in 1942, right in the middle of the war. I can see why the screenplay won an Academy Award and is considered to be one of the best ever.

I really enjoyed the film Casablanca. It is defiantly by favorite older film because of its great acting and plot. Overall, great film. I give this film four out of four stars. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the screenplay being the best there is, through a cinematic critic stand point it seems almost flawless. And I think that the character development and screenplay go hand in hand which is sometimes hard to find especially with some movies these days which are only in it to make some money, good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with both Niko and you, Jack. I love Casablanca's screenplay. Quick, sharp, smart lines. I actually saw a performance of Casablanca last year scored by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It was awesome--you watching the movie and the CSO did all of the music live.

    Anyway, I could talk forever about Casablanca. That's cool that you liked it so much. I was torn between showing Casablanca or Citizen Kane for our first film in class.

    For your future reviews, try to add a bit more about cinematic elements, and pick apart a particular scene. Get into the details and analyze a bit more.

    Keep watching films like this!

    ReplyDelete